Thursday, October 15, 2009

MSC: Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes

For this month's Martha Stewart's Cupcakes Club, Kim from What the Whisk chose the Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes from page 236 of Martha's Cupcakes book.

I made the full recipe even though I probably should have cut it in half considering that I still had some muffins left over f/m the TWD post this week.


I honestly had planned to make the marzipan pumpkins that are displayed in the book, but I wasn't able to make it to the Hobby Lobby in time for it (and even if I had, I definitely wouldn't have made them for every single cupcake! I settled for some cute little pumpkin Wilton cupcake wrappers that I already had on hand.



I thought these were really good...but maybe a tad dry. I used 1 cup of fresh pumpkin that I had recently put up and about 1/2 cup of canned. I also forgot to rotate the pans half way through...For some reason, the cupcakes that were on the top rack had crinkly tops, while the bottom ones were nicely rounded.

left= top rack, right=bottom

I took 2 dozen to work and came home empty-handed, so I think they were a hit!

Funny story: My co-worker Crystal doesn't like cream cheese icing (or anything w/cream cheese really...I know, she's crazy!) so I frosted 3 of them with some homemade buttercream that I had on hand from hubs' birthday. I sprinkled a little dash of pumpkin pie spice on the top of those to distinguish them as "Crystal's" cupcakes. Well one of our new (and very sweet) nurses went in to get a cupcake while I wasn't in my office to let her know that they were "special." Crystal found out about it and spent the rest of the day introducing the nurse to people as the "cupcake thief."

Another interesting thing...Butchy LOVES pumpkin. Everytime that I cook and puree one she can't wait to lick the bowl and utensils (but really...she's like that about most everything...). I ate one after dinner tonight and she kept sniffing the wrapper and trying to get to them on the cake plate. Well, of course I had to capture her cute longing




don't worry...she got close but didn't get any.

Thanks for a great pick Kim!

13 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look tasty. I only made marzipan pumpkins for 12. No way was I going to make them for all the cupcakes. Butchy is adorable. Love the pictures. Thanks for baking along with me this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My my, Butch is gazing at those cupcakes with such longing that I feel sad for her! Her emotion is almost palpable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cupcakes! I love the story about the cream cheese hater (I mean, co-worker). Like the idea of putting pumpkin pie spice on the cupcake too! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  4. everyone i brought these to thought they were a hit too! it was a great recipe for sure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupcakes look fantastic, they sound really yummy. That's so nice of you to make special ones for your co-worker. Butchie is better-behaved than my dog, those cupcakes would have been gone before I could snap a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how yummy! I wish I had a dog to feed stuff to..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dog Butchy is! She's beautiful! Your cupcakes look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Butchy is awesome. So are those cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Butchy, so close, but no cupcake, lol. My little dog LOVES pumpkin puree, too. My vet actually told me it's great for dogs when they're constipated. (Gross, but good to know, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cupcakes...and cute pup! I thought these were a little on the dry side, too, but I think I'm just used to eating very moist pumpkin bread/muffins.

    ReplyDelete