Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Bible study dinner

What do you feed a group of hungry girls??

(sadly, this is the only picture i got..doesn't do it justice--it was fabulous!)
Lasagna of course!!

This was my first time making lasagna and, though I know my mom has a good recipe, I didn't have time to get hers from her so I scoured the massive cookbook collection and finally settled on a recipe from the always-fabulous Taste of Home Cookbook.

I won't lie, the recipe is involved.  There are always several steps to making lasagna, but I think this one takes a bit longer...but what do I know--this is the first time I've made it!!

The girls adored it though, and even my ridiculously picky hubs tried and liked it!  (only two bites, but it's a step!)  It was definitely worth the effort, and I think this will be my go-to recipe. 

Traditional Lasagna
from Taste of Home Cookbook

1 pound ground beef
3/4 pound bulk pork sausage (i used a full pound)
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce (i used a jar of prego...always hubs favorite)
1 can (12 ounce) tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 eggs
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
3 cups (24 ounces) small curd cottage cheese
1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
9 lasagna noodles, cooked & drained
6 slices provolone cheese (i used 12--the whole package)
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (i definitely used more than this...just eyeball it)

1.  In a large skillet, cook beef & sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.  Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt, & pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. (after doing this, I odn't think a full hour is necessary.  I haven't made it without doing this, but I think a max. of 30 minutes would be fine--and I felt that it cooked down a bit too much and would have liked to have a bit more sauce).

2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs & parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta, & Parmesan.  

3.  Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9" baking dish.  Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese misture, & mozarrella.  Repeat layers ending with noodles, meat sauce, and mozzarella (dish will be full!).

4.  Cover & bake at 375 degrees F. for 50 minutes.  Uncover; bake 20 minues longer or until heated through.  Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

Yield: 12 servings

NUTRITION FACTS: 1 serving equal 493 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat) 143 mg cholesterol, 1,144 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 35 g protein    (for recipe as written, my changes probably make it worse...(; )

This is definitely an awesome recipe to feed a crowd of people that you love--I hope you give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Cheesy saucey yumminess ;) Glad you have lots of mouths to feed again!

    ReplyDelete